Emily is interested in the balance between the artist’s gestures and the nature of materials combining to form something compelling.
‘I work with various materials and styles but my main focus is abstract painting incorporating emulsion paints. My work is influenced by Modernism, including Abstract Expressionism, as well as artists that reference minimalism such as Eva Hesse.
‘I’m interested in the nature of making art and crafting – the drive to do it, authorship, and understanding materials that we use and working with them sympathetically. Much of my work explores mark making and the extent to which this is controlled by the artist.
‘I aim to create visually appealing work that invites contemplation.’
2019 exhibitions include:
- John Hughes Arts Festival Secret Postcard Sale 12 February 2019 (Jesus College Cambridge)
- The Bridge Arts Festival 6-7 April 2019 (Huntingdon Town Hall)
- Cambridge Open Studios 27-28 July 2019 (Burwash Manor)
For information on sales, commissions and exhibitions please contact email@example.com
Emily studied fine art painting at Bath Spa University, graduating with a First and showing work at the Holburne Museum, Bath; Old Truman Brewery, London; and Candid Arts, London. Prior to this she achieved Distinction at Manchester Metropolitan University’s Art Foundation year, won the Howes Smith Memorial Prize for drawing, and had work displayed at the Lowry Centre in Salford Quays, Manchester.
After studying fine art Emily developed a successful career in business development. Since early 2016 she has been working on a freelance basis to facilitate a return to painting and showing her work.
Regarding content on this website: all copyrights are retained by the artist and images and text must not be reproduced without the permission of the artist.
2018 exhibitions included:
- Hot Numbers 12 December 2017 – 4 February 2018
- Cambridge Town and Country Show 9-10 June 2018 (Cambridge Open Studios promotion)
- Outside Cambridge Guildhall 16 and 23 June 2018 (Cambridge Open Studios promotion)
- Cambridge Open Studios 21-22 July 2018
- Oxfam bookshop, Huntingdon 26 August – 22 September
- Cambridge Open Art Exhibition 12-14 October 2018
2017 Emily was on maternity leave.
Summer 2016 exhibitions included:
- Espresso Library, Cambridge, 13 May – 7 July
- Untitled Artists Fair, London, 3-5 June
- Stapleford Granary open studios, Stapleford, 23-24 July. During 2017 Emily was on maternity leave.